Making progress

My first blog post was Sept. 9 2015. That’s two weeks today.

Between wordpress, feedly reader, email subscribers, and bloglovin’ I have 63 blog followers. (On days when my kids don’t listen to me I really love and appreciate each and every one of you. Thank you for coming back week after week.) On Instagram I have 61 followers.

Now this bit is tough for me because I’m Canadian. We don’t ask for things, that’s gauche. And I’m a bit shy and a lot reticent. But I’ll make a deal with you: when I hit 100 followers on both the blog and instagram I will mail someone some fabric. I get to choose the fabric but you can probably already guess it will be colourful. Might even be rainbows! So feel free to share my info.


Instagram: handwroughtquilts

this blog:


And um, thanks! Thanks for reading and visiting and liking my quilts.

Making progress

New Block Blog Hop

Try saying that five times fast!

This is a follow on to the New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop which happened in June and July. Go here to read my day. Cloud9 fabrics has generously offered to sponsor a continuation of the 2016 New Quilt Bloggers group through a New Block Blog Hop.

To participate, I have to make an original 12.5″ square block and a tutorial as well (in case someone really loves my block and wants to make lots? Um, okay.) The tutorial blog hop will start mid-September and last I heard there are over 65 different bloggers participating. And I have to mail my block to someone so that all the blocks can be used for a charity quilt.Cloud9NewBlockBlogHopButton

I started sketching ideas today, little 2″ drawings. I came up with eight or nine ideas, some based on pictures I have. One was a beach bag I saw a couple of years ago, one is a vintage cookie tin. I’ve never done this before…I suppose the next step would be roughly figuring out construction to see if the block would work? Then decide which colours go where? Then…? I’ve got a while yet. Nope, two point five weeks. Good thing I’ve already started!


Oh and due diligence. Need to make sure this block is actually original and not derivative.

New Block Blog Hop

Day 348

I was working on a small project today and needed batting. I headed to the garage stash to see what I had out there.

Luckily I had enough for the small project. But this is what I have left.


Can you believe this is four different kinds of batting? With these sizes I feel like I should start making coasters. I hate making coasters though.

Since my friend died and her quilt shop closed…I need to find a new supplier. There are lots of shops around town, I just have to work out the best quality/price ratio. It’s going to be more expensive than what I used to pay!

Day 348

Day 346

I should properly title this “weekly update” since daily sewing and record thereof has fallen by the wayside.

Guild meeting last night…we had a garage sale. I scrounged up a few things to put in the sale and they all sold, hooray! So I made 10$. And spent 9$. I found roughly two charm packs worth of 2.5″ squares, a new spool of Aurifil thread in a dreadful marsala colour which might work on a quilt I need to quilt or will be good for longarm practice, and two fabric marking pens.

I also pulled out two recently finished quilts to show at show and share. This one and this one. After I got them from their hanging up spot in the hall cupboard there was a gap. And in that gap was a pair of men’s khaki summer weight jeans. With two pins marking where the new hem should be. And of course my husband saw the pants and said “I thought I had another pair but I couldn’t find them.” Turns out he bought them last summer. And has never worn them. Oops? My bad? Mea culpa. That got done today.

And longarm update! It’s my week to use it and I thought it time to try out a real quilt. I loaded up a not-so-precious quilt (my friend Sarah [she used to blog but not so much any more] just told me about her way of thinking about quilts: the favourite/special/precious ones and the less-precious ones and the ones in between.)

It’s a quilt I made a long time ago using the guild block lotto blocks from 2013-14. There’s a blog post about it.

MUCH better here than in a bag under the bed.


I went for really big loopy loops. It was either that or do a complete custom job. And I don’t think this quilt deserves any more of my time, so loops it was. Plus quilting a twin quilt in <one hour!? WIN!!!! Red was what I had on the machine for practicing and I just kind of liked it.

Day 346

Notebook cover, modified

Way back in March 2015 my guild and the Vancouver MQG arranged a swap between our guilds, making a semi-custom notebook cover for someone in the other guild. I lucked out when Terry Aske made my cover for me. It was so pretty and cheerful I was just thrilled to bits when I got my cover. Go here for her blog post about it.


To make the swap easier we were all to use the same size notebook (see below, on the left). Except the notebook was a weird size and I don’t like lined paper and so I just never did anything with this. Which made me sad because I really liked the cover from Terry.

Since I have a sketchbook I do like (see above, on the right) I had a brain wave! And I modified my fabulous but useless cover into a perfect fit.

I chopped down the top and the outsides and it now it’s all sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows (literally in this case!) Thanks again for the cover Terry. I like it even more now that I can use it.


This is on my 3rd quarter list for the finish along, so ta-done! And I first blogged about this idea way back over here.

Notebook cover, modified