Day 265

It being the penultimate day of the month I thought it high time to start my mighty lucky quilt challenge for May. This one is being led by Amy Gibson of Stitchery Dickory Dock and is called “Effective Contrast.”

I spent some time with my Brackman’s on Sunday night choosing a block. I have to make the same twelve blocks but using different fabrics for them…I didn’t want to end up with a bed size quilt so I am making 6″ blocks. Which rules out all the blocks with 25 pieces, or 40 pieces, or HSTs finishing at 1.25″. I’m doing a double pinwheel block to keep it simple and to better ensure my success.

Block-6-01

This is more or less the layout. I’m doing my blocks with only twelve pieces.

IMG_3382 copy

This is my colour palette.

 

IMG_3376 copy

And what the first one looks like.

And if you’ve never seen a copy of Barbara Brackman’s Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns it is worth seeking out.

Day 264

Yay! My sister came to visit this weekend with her family. It’s always great to see them even though we have to fit seven people into an 800 sqft house. But she made pineapple upside down cake with W while I got busy fussy cutting some more squares for polaroid blocks. IMG_3375.JPG

And some more. And a few extra. I’m now up to around 100? I think.

I calculated the yardage I need to make the white frames for these. It’s around a metre. Yikes.

The cake was delicious.

Gap Improv, a finished quilt

This quilt started in the unlikeliest of places: in the Gap, in early January 2015. I hate malls and I hate branded clothes but I had to put on my big girl panties and brave the mall for a Christmas return. I was struck by the colours of their new line (teal, gold, grey, and a lovely floral) so I snapped a pic on my flip phone (hence the really poor quality).

Image0588

Using the MQG quilt of the month pattern “Chess on the Steps” from Krista Hennebury I created the centre bit and started adding borders. I had no finished quilt in mind, just a plan to see at every step what the quilt needed next. I made the centre bit (teal and yellow) sometime in late spring 2015.

IMG_1610

This fabric was dark on the selvedges and light at the fold. I fussy cut it to get uniform colour all the way around.

IMG_1620

The floral border is added.

Trying out different border options.

IMG_1690The finished quilt top.

I put the rest of this together in July-August 2015 with the intention of hand quilting the centre bit while away on a really boring sedentary trip. Did you know the trick of folding  your backing over to the front to protect your edges?

IMG_2928

Centre bit hand quilting finished!

And then I started this blog in September; this quilt shows up for the first time on Day 18 of blogging. You can search “gap improv medallion” for all the posts about this quilt. I worked on the hand quilting until November when all progress stopped. I was stumped by what quilting to do and intimidated by my lacking FMQ skills. I picked it up again in April and have been quilting it on and off since then.

IMG_2959

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 10.30.54 AM

IMG_0139IMG_0142

This quilt is for sale. Price pretty reasonable. Info upon request.

Stats:

Title: Gap Improv Medallion

Lifetime quilt no.51

Started: June 2015

Finished: May 23, 2016

Size: 40″x40″

Number of pieces: 125

Quilting: hand quilted with perle cotton, FMQ with various Gutterman/Aurifil threads.

This quit was #4 on my 2016 Finish A-Long list. Ta-done!

Linking up with: