Malcolm’s Dragons, a finished quilt

Or dinosaurs, or Godzilla if you’re quite particular. I doubt a newborn baby will be huffy about dragons vs dinosaurs (or even know about Godzilla) at this point.

This quilt was joyous to make and I’m just so thrilled with the results. I hope the new parents like it even half as much as I do.

My theme for this quilt was “navy blue and dragons” which was an excellent starting place.


For the back I used some of my entire bolt of slightly irregular Dr Seuss stripes.


This bit’s for my own interest. In a 30″ square quilt with only nine blocks how many fabrics did I use? Every single bit was scraps or stash, including the batting, backing, and binding. So where did it all come from?

  • guild challenge fabric (from the brand new MQG Riley Blake challenge): 2
  • free from a friend: 1
  • from the scraps of famous quilters: 4 fabrics (from two quilters)
  • birthday fabrics from my sister last year: 2
  • bought new but randomly, ie for no purpose at some point in the past: 3
  • purchased scraps: 3
  • leftovers from previous quilts I made: 12 different quilts!
  • leftovers from previous projects: 4


A thoughtful touch in the centre block: the baby’s initials, fussy cut from an alphabet fabric. The multi coloured dot below it was the lining for my nearly eleven year old’s first coat, made way back in 2008.

IMG_5310 copy

Quilt Stats:

Title: Dragons for Malcom

Lifetime quilt no.: 74

Started: February 22, 2018

Finished: March 2, 2018

Size: 30″x30″

Pattern used: inspired by this pattern from Latifah Saafir (among many other improv log cabins)

Number of pieces: 119

Quilting: straight line walking foot quilting with blue and orange Bottom Line thread from Superior, and a variegated blue 30wt from Sulky in a sort of randomish but totally planned irregular grid.

Binding: sewn to the BACK, then brought to the front and stitched with a 12wt yellow/orange/white/red variegated Aurifil I’ve had forrrrevvvver. Used Cheryl Arkison’s mitred corners technique which is newish to me but I am becoming a convert.


Front of the quilt on the left, back of the quilt with awesome stitching in the ditch on the right.

One last picture:IMG_5336

This was a fast project and was only blogged once during the process.

Linking up with Finish it up Friday, Sew Fresh Quilts and My Quilt Infatuation! Happy weekend everyone.



8 thoughts on “Malcolm’s Dragons, a finished quilt

  1. That is one cute baby quilt. I am sure the parents will love it, and the baby will be fascinated with it a little later on! Congratulations on another finish!


Comments are awesome. So are you.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s