I overcame

My last post was kind of grumpy about my current quilt in progress, which hasn’t featured heavily here before. This year I’m working my way through the “Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters” by Sherri Lynn Wood. (Click the link to see the previous posts about these quilts.)

IMG_8706

Here was my sticking point. I eventually realized a lot of the squares and rectangles were too big so I grabbed my big girl scissors and cut them up. And suddenly everything started working!

IMG_8849

I also committed most of a day to plugging away at it.

IMG_8854

Here is my finished top! I’m considering not trimming it square… we’ll see.

On a different day I made a backing too. I’m generally not a fan of “use the leftovers to make the backing” but somehow it felt right to do it on this quilt. This used all the rest of the yukata cottons. The pale grey is leftover from a previous backing.

IMG_8912

I doubt anyone but me will notice but the bottom strip of white/indigo fabrics are the only time I oriented them horizontally. I used a vertical orientation everywhere else as a design constriction.

So yay, finally done. All ready to be quilted, and ready for the next improv score!

5 thoughts on “I overcame

  1. Hi Nicole! YAY to making progress and now it’s ready for quilting. I’m not much of a piecing-backing-person either, but I agree with you. It seems perfect for this improv project. ~smile~ Roseanne

    Like

Comments are awesome. So are you.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s