Log Cabin Progress

Even though life is busy (oh how it’s busy!) and I’m sick, I’ve made progress on my artsy log cabin quilt. I’ve had this idea for a year or two now and I think it will fit nicely for an art show call for entry. I made a bunch of blocks but decided to start over and go smaller.

I went from eight blocks like this:

4″ square, finished.

to this one:

3.5″ finished. And that crumb near the bottom is mighty irritating.

Since I liked the smaller block with tiny logs more, I ripped apart the blocks I had made. (That sounds like I went all Hulk on them but really I just used my stitch ripper while watching tv.)

This morning I resewed the blocks, yay!


And then I cut fabric for three and a half hours.


This is a sandwich size container with 842 pieces of fabric in it. Mind boggling isn’t it? The smallest is 1.5″x .75″ and the largest is 4″x.75″. The polka dot fabric pieces are 1.5″ square.

To heck with 50 shades of grey, that’s 41 tints of white.


Log Cabin Progress

New Quilt Bloggers’ Blog Hop, 2017 edition, week TWO

t’s time for the second week of the 2017 New Quilt Bloggers’ Blog Hop! This year’s hosts are: Beth @Cooking Up Quilts, Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl, and Leanne @She Can Quilt. Each of these knowledgeable and kind ladies are shepherding a “hive” of newbie quilt bloggers. Every week for four weeks a few folks from each hive are profiled. Since I know you like quilts, and blogs, please check out some of the links. You might find someone new-to-you that you like very much!

2017 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop.png

How does this work? I explained it more last week, HERE. But there are prizes and new blogs to discover. Win win. Here are the bloggers being profiled in week two.

xLets bee quiltn

My co-hive mates:

xBlooming Quilters


Wait…what about the prizes I mentioned? You have to check out any one of the hosts’ blog posts for the rafflecopter entry. Beth @Cooking Up Quilts, Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl, and Leanne @She Can Quilt.

Prize list!

  1. Fat Quarter Shop – $50 Gift Certificate
  2. Aurifil 12 Large Spool Bundle
  3. Hawthorne Threads – $40 Gift Certificate
  4. Meadow Mist Designs – Winner’s Choice of (2) Digital PDF Patterns
  5. The Quilter’s Planner – 2018 Planner
  6. Story Patches – Starter Kit
  7. Make Modern Magazine – A 6 month subscription
  8. Devoted Quilter – Winner’s Choice of (2) Digital PDF Patterns
  9. Quilting Jetgirl – Winner’s Choice of (2) Digital PDF Patterns
  10. Cooking Up Quilts – Winner’s Choice of (2) Digital PDF Patterns
  11. she can quilt – (1) Digital PDF Pattern

Happy blog hopping everyone!

New Quilt Bloggers’ Blog Hop, 2017 edition, week TWO

Archives: “Regatta”

This one’s for you Debbie!

Earlier this week I was enjoying reading the recent newsletter from A Quilter’s Table, and she talked a lot about her most recent finish which used a stitch and flip technique. Debbie went on to profile a number of other awesome stitch and flip quilts. And since people do a throwback Thursday thing on instagram, I thought I would share MY stitch and flip quilt.

This is “Regatta,” from 2013.

Regatta_FULL copy

It was purpose made for a show, and was successfully juried in. It hung in the first ever Modern section at the American Quilt Society’s Des Moines show in August 2013.

Since this quilt was waaaay before blogging I don’t have too many pictures, just the ones I submitted with my application. And this one:

IMGP9242 copy

But since I do track all my fabric purchases I can tell you that I had two fat quarters of the focus fabric and the solids were: cerise, regal, lime, black, emerald, and kumquat (white not shown). I remember that I didn’t take the focus fabric to the store when I bought the white. If I had, I might have bought a slightly off white instead.

IMGP9278 copy

I was so pissed when I noticed the print was not pure white! I had cut everything and made all the stitch and flip triangles/squares already, so I abandoned my original plan and came up with this layout instead. It’s called regatta because of the colourful triangle flags everywhere and the on-point rectangular lozenge shapes remind me of boats. And there are boats in the print fabric.

The print fabric had reminded me of Yoshiko Jinzenji‘s work so I was trying to channel some of that as well as the stitch and flip from “Quilting Modern” by the fabulous Katie Pedersen and Jacquie Gering.

My husband had been encouraging me to be more deliberate with my backings and this was the first quilt where I really tried. Unfortunately the store only had 2.65m which wasn’t enough! So I scooped up more of the cerise, regal, lime, black, emerald, and kumquat and made it work.

Regatta back copy

Quilt Stats

Title: Regatta

Lifetime quilt no.: 17

Started: July 1, 2013

Finished: August 2, 2013

Size: 65″x77″

Number of pieces: ~200?

Quilting: walking foot, straight line. White thread in the top, black in the bobbin.

This quilt is for SALE. Price reasonable. Never used. Email me for details.

Archives: “Regatta”

A New Project


Deadline looming, so best get started. I’ve wanted to make this one for well over a year and it will fit beautifully (I think) for a call-for-entry.


I am using the leftovers from this quilt-still-in-progress:



That’s thirty-five different white tone on tones. I didn’t know I had so many! And now that I do know, I want ten more so that I’ll have no repeats. Local friends, I’ll be hitting you up after I make a test block!

Since these are all definitely scraps from a previous project, I’m linking up with Scraptastic Tuesday!

A New Project