I overcame

My last post was kind of grumpy about my current quilt in progress, which hasn’t featured heavily here before. This year I’m working my way through the “Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters” by Sherri Lynn Wood. (Click the link to see the previous posts about these quilts.)

IMG_8706

Here was my sticking point. I eventually realized a lot of the squares and rectangles were too big so I grabbed my big girl scissors and cut them up. And suddenly everything started working!

IMG_8849

I also committed most of a day to plugging away at it.

IMG_8854

Here is my finished top! I’m considering not trimming it square… we’ll see.

On a different day I made a backing too. I’m generally not a fan of “use the leftovers to make the backing” but somehow it felt right to do it on this quilt. This used all the rest of the yukata cottons. The pale grey is leftover from a previous backing.

IMG_8912

I doubt anyone but me will notice but the bottom strip of white/indigo fabrics are the only time I oriented them horizontally. I used a vertical orientation everywhere else as a design constriction.

So yay, finally done. All ready to be quilted, and ready for the next improv score!

I am so completely blocked on my current quilt the frustration is contagious and other parts of my life are getting grumpy. I want to sew but won’t let myself start other projects. Grrr.

IMG_8706.JPG

Here’s where it was most recently. I’m sure I’m just totally over-thinking all of it, and that it’s better than I fear.

We’ll see if I can convince myself about that.

In other news, this summer I scored some 9m of fabric for future backings for <20$!

IMG_8832.JPG

My husband also found me a massive Olfa cutting mat for 4$ at a garage sale. It’s in better condition than mine so that’s a definite win!

This weekend I made two pathfinder sashes and one guide sash for a few girl guides I know. Did you know that Canadian army officers used to have their own personal tailors make their uniforms? Yes I make the sashes because it is so much cheaper that way.

I also bartered with my SIL to re-line her favourite winter coat in exchange for a photoshoot. Today I found the most lovely red heavy weight stretch bridal satin to use. This is a fiddly project but one I don’t mind doing.

And here’s how I spent the day before school started:

IMG_8784.JPG

The big two are mine, the little ones are my nieces.

I always feel like the beginning of the school year is the new year, so happy new year everyone! And happy fourth blog anniversary to me. Thanks for being here.

 

*

*

*

 

Binding

…for days. Or metres if you’d rather.

When you have *six* quilts to bind (see this post) you also need binding. I made some 28? 29?m of binding recently.

IMG_8590

The floral, solid teal, and B+W stripe (top down) are all a 2.5″ WOF straight of grain binding. I actually made the floral aaaaaages ago. Still hoping to get that quilt done sooner or later.

The last one in the pile is also a 2.5″ but I made a bias binding, my second ever. I scored a purple/turquoise shot cotton from a thrift store a few years ago and thought it would look good on the bias. I haven’t bound that quilt yet so idk, but I’ll keep you posted.

IMG_8584

The striped binding is interesting because it’s an irregular (pattern) and uneven (wobbly) stripe. I matched as best I could. Sometimes it went well, and other times less so. This binding is for a generic kids quilt so I’m not overly fussed.

 

Now that I have bindings prepped, I should trim my quilts and get them finished right?

Levelling Up

I’ve spent most of my free time in July quilting a few tops, which has been both exciting and fulfilling. That’s the good news.

The less-good news is that I now have SIX quilts to bind. To be honest, three of those are not recently finished quilts.

While I *can* fit a queen size quilt on a floor in my house it’s rather a pain to move lots of furniture and all that. So I called on some volunteer contacts and made use of a local community hall to spread out ALL THE QUILTS.

IMG_8559

And since I have six quilts to trim I decided to splurge and get some proper, helpful tools to get this done easily.

FullSizeRender

Colour is off. The toes are actually fluorescent orange. 

I bought a pair of Bosch “level squares” which basically shoot a right angled laser 10m away. I don’t make quilts that big but wow are these helpful! I also bought a carpenter’s square and am using my university era cutting mat as the last right angle. Big splurges but I feel like such a grown up quilter now!

I used this pretty good tutorial from Mandalei Quilts for the level squares. While she marked her quilt edges with painters tape I used a Clover brand chaco liner (the weird blue pen thing in the above picture) and my regular ruler.

I will share more later about the actual process but for now, I have really freakin’ straight-edged and crisp-cornered quilts!!!

I’m also linking up with Michelle because I’m just so darn thrilled and proud!