My 2017 summer mental health quilt is ta-done, finished, and gifted!
This quilt was fun from start to finish. The entire top came from stash and was a fun, mindless project late this summer. The 2.5″ squares were all from swaps and gifts, the 4″ beige squares I cut from larger pieces.
The backing was half from stash with only the background striped fabric purchased. September was my month to use my longarm (I share it with another quilter if you’re new around here) so I loaded this up to hopefully quilt it during a few sessions over the course of the month.
One relatively short afternoon later, I was done the quilting. The classic wishbones were easy to do and suited both the front and the back of the quilt. And might I brag just a bit about that most excellent pattern matching seen above? I couldn’t have done that if I tried!
I had a bit of a close call when I was trying to find a suitable fabric for the black border. I knew I had a black with orange-purple-green?-yellow stars (kind of a Hallowe’en palette) but couldn’t find it. Must have sold it. Found instead this black with a rainbow of coloured stars which I truly have no memory of acquiring. But it wasn’t enough! What to do now. I struggled mightily between buying new fabric for the border or…wait for it…switching fabric halfway through. You can see below what I chose to do.
This is the first time I have ever done that in my decade of quilting. Are you proud of me? I am.
I mentioned this has been gifted already. I left it outside a friend’s house this week. She has a cottage on a lake which has been in her family since they built it in the 1930s. My oldest and her daughter have birthdays only eight days apart and they are truly bosom buddies, a la Anne and Diana. There were many trips back and forth to their cottage this summer and this quilt kept reminding me of that vintage, eclectic, still in great shape cottage. So I kept sewing, thinking about the cottage and friends and all sorts of things so I kind of wound up making this for my friend and just kept crossing my fingers that she would maybe like it a bit and not mind being gifted a quilt.
Well. The exuberant phone call I received convinced me I had gotten it right. They are thrilled to have been chosen as the benefactors. But I win because I got to make another quilt!
Title: Scrappy Irish Chain
Lifetime quilt no.: 66
Started: August 2, 2017
Finished: September 27, 2017 (a mere eight weeks later!)
Number of pieces: 1,058 which includes the 20 pieces in the backing. Total fabric used was 7.6m from stash and 2m purchased specially.
Quilting: wishbones, done on longarm
And once more for awesomeness.
Have a most excellent weekend everyone and a happy Thanksgiving to you!