Ta-done! What a thrilling feeling it is to finish a quilt, especially an annoying long standing work in progress.
This has also been called the “door quilt” for a while. In our previous house it was to be a quilt to cover the door of the living room so that when husband was working and I was sewing, the sound of the machine would be somewhat blocked. Think of it as an artistic sound baffle.
The quilt never got finished and then we moved. This new house has a door in our entrance foyer which leads to the downstairs suite. It has ugly extra hinges and a funny door lock which are badly installed and actual duct tape sealing the bottom. Nice house, but this door is super sketchy looking.
Husband asked me if I had any quilts the right size to cover up a door. You know that emoji that has the rather stunned look to it? That was me right then. I had to ‘fess up and remind him about this quilt he’d asked for and I had never finished. Oops. But perfect.
The fabrics are not my favourite (but they were free). I did learn a lot about value. Especially this: if you use the same fabric as both a light and a dark you will shoot yourself in the foot come time to layout.
I wish I had done different layouts in each row – economy blocks, zigzags, streak of lightning. I was over-ruled by the husband (who is a completely traditional quilter. Weird.) He liked the barn raising set best.
Previous posts about this quilt are here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. It has also been on the list every quarter of the Finish-along for the past two years. I worked on it non-stop for a ten day period in early November 2015 before shelving it in frustration. Nine and a half months later (Aug. 31, 2016) I made the last 20 blocks needed. Then nothing until mid-Sept this year, when I added the last two rows in about 30 minutes. Pieced a backing in another 30 minutes. Loaded it on the long arm and quilted it up! That part took me maayyybe a couple of hours? Bound it by machine and hung it up. Ta-done.
Husband is pleased: he likes the quilt, the door is now nicer looking, and there is one less unfinished quilt hanging around.
Title: HST Value/Door Quilt
Lifetime quilt no.: 67
Started: November 1, 2015
Finished: October 2, 2017
Size: 40.5″ x 88.5″
Number of pieces: 440
Quilting: straight line done with channel locks on my longarm. Thread used was orange! Superior bottom line on the top and blue Superior bottom line in the bobbin. It was leftover and magically worked with all the colours.
Celebrating the it’s finally finished feeling with Crazy Mom Quilts, Let’s Bee Social, and My Quilt Infatuation. Will also link up with the Finish A-long come time. Have a great weekend everyone.