Spent all day working away at the tea leaves quilt. Decided on binding (the grey crosshatch from the backing), trimmed, made the binding, sewed it on, and buried threads. Still to do: check the back for stray threads I missed, fix four inches of stitching, and re-do the binding. And wash it.
It seems that I’m having trouble with my binding these days…not sure why exactly. I machine sewed this one and half-way through wished I was hand sewing it. I finished it anyway so that I can take pictures and then I can re-do it at my leisure. Or not.
I’m looking forward to seeing it washed. The crinkly goodness will be amazing!
Today I finished quilting the last block on my grey tea leaves quilt. Hooray! I had actually done all the blocks on the longarm, finishing it on October 11th, but there was one block I wasn’t happy with so I re-did it on my domestic. Doing a one inch checkerboard on a 22″ block on a domestic machine does take a while.
Now it’s time to bury threads and get it bound. I’m torn between two fabrics: the first is Carolyn Friedlander’s screen/crosshatch fabric (which I used as the backing) and the second is this cool large dot I bought to be the binding for this quilt. But now it’s time and I’m having second thoughts about using it. The dots have a diameter of 1.25″.
Here’s a mock up with the dots:
And with the crosshatch:
And a random pic:
Mid-week link ups: Let’s Bee Social and the Needle & Thread Network
And we’re back! I needed a weekend to recover from my weekend. What’s been going on around here? Besides a friend’s wedding, a father-in-law’s 80th birthday and associated cake making, the Highland Games, a butt-numbing three hour parade, an awesome guild meeting, some sewing (oh blessed sewing, how I love you, how I’ve missed you), track meets, field trips, and oh I don’t know laundry and groceries too…
- I made some blocks to send to the Ottawa MQG for Fort McMurray.
- I’m still on a polaroid block kick. I’m up to 36 so far. That would be 9 tickets in the draw at the guild meeting but what happens if I don’t win? I would be so very bummed so I’m thinking of not sharing mine, just making loads and loads for myself.
- I hand-sewed the binding on a quilt during the parade. #publicactsofquilting
- I bought some fabric for the border on a group quilt.
- I finished a quilt! That will get its own moment in the sun later this week.
- I’m getting going on my May mighty lucky challenge. I started strong with these monthly projects and then I slid. Slid right into “not doing them.” So that needs improving.
So that is my recent life in a
nut shell tidy blog post. Hope you are all well!
My favourite default picture.