Done and with time to spare. The unicorn was pleased with my efforts and rewarded me with this action shot.
Here’s a back view. The tail I am most pleased with but the mane required a lot of hairspray to re-orient the nap of the fabric.
The horn, and an extra for the orange haired little sister. I had to make some effort for that kid!
And a long story which is too fiddly to write out: I also made a matching costume for dolly.
The red riding hood costume on W’s doll is leftover from Hallowe’en 2009.
This was our first Hallowe’en in our new neighbourhood – full size chocolate bars are de rigour out here as is the community bonfire and fireworks. We parked our car in line with the launch site and maybe only 6m (~20′) away? I can tell you that fireworks up close have the same volume as ones further away. That was the best part of the night for me.
Is in a mere six sleeps my excited children tell me. I suppose I had better get moving else I’ll be pestered to death.
The youngest, W (who is six and a quarter) assembled her own costume from the dress-up bin and I appreciate her self-sufficiency. She’ll be Red Riding Hood wearing a fancy red ball gown. And a now-tiny hooded cape I made for her sister at Hallowe’en 2009 when she was RRH.
B. on the other hand (a very wise and all-knowing 10 and a half) was angling for Katara from Avatar:
First time I’ve ever vetoed a costume. Second choice is a unicorn apparently. I also vetoed the slutty ladies “unicorn” costume she wanted to match one of her best friends. (You know the kind, the sexy-fill-in-the-profession/hobby/character/food).
We’re both excited about the compromise, turning this ladies XL sweater into something magical.
As purchased. The “BEFORE” picture.
These were sleeves, if you are not familiar with garment construction.
I’m two steps past this point. I took a picture of me wearing it to check the fit but it was a ridiculous sight. Stay tuned for further adventures in home costuming!
And the Nutcracker has closed and life goes back to normal. (Normal-ish. Life is never normal.)
So while it’s true I did not quilt this weekend, there were quilting things around me.
The Spanish dancer’s tutu:
It has a woven silk checkerboard plate (the decorative top layer of a tutu, go HERE for info about tutu construction from the National Ballet of Canada) hand beaded with a paillette trim. So, patchwork-ish.
The Mouse King’s robe had pattern matching:
And fussy cutting:
This was one of his sleeves.
The Nutcracker Prince wore this gorgeous piece in Act II: his sleeve was made of six different silks put together in a Seminole patchwork style.
And actual patchwork here…if you look at the right side of the picture you can see new fabric was sewn by hand as literal patchwork.
So there we go! Even the ballet can have quilting in it.
All costumes designed by Paul Daigle and constructed by the talented men and women of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet Wardrobe Shop.
No quilting today but I did get to be near fabrics things. The ballet is in town and I am a backstage ninja!
What that means is I am working as a dresser, not furniture, but someone who helps dancers with their costumes and changes, any mending and whatever else happens.
So I get to see some of this:
And a lot of these:
These are twelve pairs of polar bear feet waiting for twelve very excited eight year olds.
And I get to do it all again tomorrow. Twice.