It’s been a busy and fulfilling, also crazy bonkers, few weeks.
There was the end of Brownies: All the random activities my co-leader and I kinda pulled out of our heads and off the internet since January actually translated into some badges! We were surprised, and utterly pleased with ourselves.
We made some hat traders as year-end gifts for the girls.
School ends tomorrow. Both my girls had great teachers this year but especially W. She wanted to make something for her teacher so I suggested a pillow. The favourite colour is pink and the favourite animal is a moose, so here you have a pink moose pillow.
The glamour shot.
The flat shot. All fabrics chosen by W, laid out and assembled by her. (I did the rows, border, and appliqué.)
A close up of the appliqué because I frickin hate appliqué like this but I think I kinda rocked it.
And in my personal sewing journey, I finished my improv string quilt. I used the leftovers to make this quilt:
The setting squares and background fabrics are both from stash. Quilt measures 53×72. Pattern is the “June Quilt Along Quilt” from Crazy Mom Quilts.
I also started my next quilt in my Sherri Lynn Woods Improv project. This one is the “floating Squares” score. I’m using long hoarded yukata cottons from Okan Arts.
Work continues to be stupid busy mixed with corporate bs, so that’s nuts too.
Canada Day is Monday which is the real start of my summer. Here’s to a good one!
In my last post I was all “look at me, look at the fabric I made, I’m so awesome, here’s my block.”
And then I remembered the lesson of measure twice, cut once.
I forgot I had to cut the cool fabric vertically instead of horizontally! Good thing I had so much more cool than warm. I was able to cut enough blocks from the “leftovers” and I only had to piece together a couple of blocks. Pretty easy to do with a quilt pattern like this. I also decided that I didn’t need to make a 96″x96″ quilt. Yeah, I had enough fabric for one that big.
My past two weeks have been a joyous time, rough cutting rectangles diagonally, piecing them, and trimming up. Here is my quilt, all 72″x96″. I’ve even found a backing for it. Now I need to quilt it and give it a name. I’m looking for suggestions for both.
W. offered up this gem a couple of days ago which pleased me to no end: “wow, there’s blue diamonds in there too! Did you do that on purpose?” Yes small child, I did.
There are likely ads below. I’m not a fan, but what can you do?
About a month ago I started sewing strips and strings together, with a rough plan in mind. I’m pleased that as of yesterday I’ve *finally* finished this task I set myself.
I created 3.55m of warm colours, and 5.6m of cool colours. WOF is 42″-45″. This is pretty heavy fabric with so much thread and seam allowances.
K, I know it’s kind of a weird picture and really hard to stage beautifully. So eff it. This is stretched out across my house.
Here is what I have in mind to make using these string sheets. I do want to work my way through Sherri Lynn Wood’s improv book to stretch myself. I like precision, and patterns, and I tend to work small-ish. For this I’m cutting with scissors and working large.
Made a sample block to test it out. This will measure ~16″x24″ once sewn. I like it a lot.
April has been kicking my butt pretty hard, which I knew it would, but still. And there’s another 10 days yet, including an extremely high stakes, very emotional event to survive.
I did some much needed therapeutic sewing this week. I used to sort strings and strips by length but turns out that’s a bit goofy. I’ve changed it now to be Warms/Cools/Darks/Low volumes.
I’ve wanted to do a string quilt for a while now. On our small trip away last month I read all of Sherri Lynn Wood’s “Improv Handbook for the Modern Quilter” and am going to work through it, making as many of the scores as I can.
Making fabric for a string quilt seemed mindless enough for now. Sewing is good, and writing is too.