Today was a day off. Days off are seriously one of the best things ever. I cannot stress enough how much I appreciated [and needed] today.
Sure, I need to do laundry. Get groceries. Recover from the double whammy of birthday and mother’s day. And renew my driver’s license – that did get done to save the 276$ fine I was flirting with had I been pulled over, which luckily didn’t happen. After I glared into the camera for a horrible picture I went home and SEWED!
I finished a few blocks, then laid out and counted my blocks for the Jacob’s Ladder quilt. Then I cut lots and lots more strips and squares. I have 27 more blocks to do and 38 fabrics I just love and want to use.
These are the “must use” fabrics.
Some of the “we’ll see what colours I need to balance the rest out” near the end.
Since I zipped through all that I decided to brave the fabrics I want to fussy cut.
I spent two hours to make this holey fabric.
But it will look awesome at the end.
And I get to do it all again tomorrow.
I know that’s a lame dad joke but I still like it.
Aaaages ago I promised to give away scraps (jazz hands!) to a randomly drawn person who correctly identified this block as a Jacob’s Ladder.
That post had eleven comments, six of which named the Jacob’s Ladder block. I printed the comments, cut out the ones with Jacob’s Ladder, folded them up, and drew Anja’s comment.
So there we go! Thank you everyone for liking my first block of this quilt. I now have 36% of the blocks sewn and an additional 16 blocks cut out. I am loving the very saturated colours I’ve chosen.
* Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
Urban Dictionary claims that years ago every casino in Las Vegas had a three-piece chicken dinner with a potato and a veggie for $1.79. A standard bet back then was $2, hence when you won a bet you had enough for a chicken dinner.
Anja, we will chat about just how many scraps (jazz hands!) you want.
can bite me.
In a quilt with sixty-four unique print fabrics quite a few of them are directional. Since I’m strip piecing much of this project I was having some troubles training my brain to deal with those directional prints.
I took the time this morning to make a mock-up block:
Yes, this is wee but I can now clearly see how things get spun around and put upside down and sideways. I can’t recall where this not-so-awesome fish fabric came from but now I have less of it.
This wee block helped me make this terrific poster so that I’ll never get it wrong again.
I will probably make a different mistake instead.
And five more:
25% done, 75% to go. Will move on the chartreuse colours next.