Let There Be Light

File under: obvious, Sherlock

Turns out if you swap a 40w bulb for a 100w bulb, you’ll notice a difference. Especially if the bulb puts out 5,000K. That’s operating room bright.

It was a 20$ lightbulb and OF COURSE I’m kicking myself I didn’t do this a year ago.

Sheesh. Some folks are slow on the uptake.

These are the threads for the current quilt. Pic taken at 2100h.

Maple Spirit, a finished quilt

The long promised, much vaunted quilt I designed for my guild’s QuiltCon charity challenge.

Maple Spirit_HandwroughtQuilts FULL

We named the quilt “Maple Spirit.” The inspiration for this quilt came from an excellent conversation I had with a quilty friend: we talked about gingerbread houses, the Canadian Coast Guard, the parameters of this challenge (theme was Modern Traditionalism and a specific colour palette), Canada’s Sesquicentennial, and more.

This idea came to me fully intact and the only change I made was to adjust the placement of the maple leaf.

Maple Spirit_HandwroughtQuilts Blocks.JPG

Blocks from the guild members. We used white tone on tone fabrics for the maple leaves and white solid fabric for the background. I knew the variations in whites would give us lovely depth and variation for the background.

Maple Spirit_HandwroughtQuilts LEAF

The most awesome maple leaf you’ve ever seen.

Maple Spirit_HandwroughtQuilts Detail

The texture on this quilt is phenomenal. Each of the three parts (or colours) has a different texture: the background has a back and forth water-ish quilting pattern, the maple leaf has veins quilted in a not very dense pattern, and the leaf shadow has matchstick quilting.

Maple Spirit_HandwroughtQuilts Detail2

We agonized over which colour to use for binding but ultimately decided to include a fifth colour from the colour palette. Fussy cut binding (to add emphasis) for the win!

Maple Spirit_HandwroughtQuilts Binding

Previous blog posts about this quilt are here, here, here, and here.

Quilt Stats:

Title: Maple Spirit

Lifetime quilt no.: 72

Started: I agreed to take on the project Sept 21, 2017

Finished: quilt finished (labelled and with hanging sleeve) January 20, 2018

Size: ~72×90

Number of pieces: 1,364, plus however many are in the red strip sets

Quilting: detailed above, but longarmed with Wonderfil and Invisifil threads

Linking up with Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts and Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

Getting closer…

This messy pile of crap is now a hanging sleeve for the guild charity quilt. I suppose I’m glad I didn’t get one of my own quilts into QuiltCon; I only have to attach this one sleeve.

IMG_4974.JPG

But I cheated and machine stitched it.

And the quilt’s been bound. I managed to fob that job off on someone else delegated that successfully. Tomorrow is for taking decent pics, adding labels, and in all likelihood, kid-wrangling and laundry. And so it goes.

Further Adventures in Bee Quilting

The magic quilting fairies are unlikely to visit in the night, as much as I keep hoping. If you volunteer to chair/lead/shepherd a project you just might have to do lots of it yourself.

First there was lots and lots of this:

IMG_4893

Which not only gave me a tiny bit of photokeratitis , but also made my hands vibrate I was going so fast. On the plus side, this is my second time using a poly thread and I am a #convert4lyfe as the hip kids say these days.

FullSizeRender

Sneak peek

More tomorrow.