Tidy-up time

The fun thing (or one of the fun things) about teaching is you can check the store’s scrap basket every week. So I’ve had a few weeks of scraps building up, as well as yardage for binding several quilts, and leftovers from ahem, several projects going back a few months. So I did a sort and tidy this afternoon and feel better for it.

I know the online world is all “pictures or it didn’t happen” but I just didn’t take any. Picture a random but sort of tidy pile of scraps. Got it? Yes! That’s exactly what it looked like!

It was very gratifying to finally nail down what I keep/sort and how I sort it:

  • selvedges (not that I’ve ever used them but it’s JUST IN CASE)
  • strings/strips (ditto, but I have plans)
  • tiny scraps, less than 2.5″ square which I will probably stop saving and will send to someone if you are interested
  • 2.5″ squares (LOVE these so much!)
  • small-ish scraps (generally around 5″ square or smaller but bigger than everything mentioned up to now)
  • FQ or less than FQ but bigger than the small-ish scraps
  • bigger than FQ is “yardage”

Tomorrow I get to go to a quilt show (yay!) but I have to take my kids (boo¡). They are great but they do not love quilt shows. I have my bribes ready:


One piece at the end of every row. Two if they behaved nicely. I have no shame.


and so it begins…

This weekend I sat down with W and steered her in the direction I wanted her to go. For some reason known only only to kindergarten teachers and probably pinterest, the 100th day of kindergarten is celebrated. To properly celebrate, each child must take a large paper grocery bag, turn it into a vest and decorate it with one hundred objects arranged in groups of ten.

Woe betide the child who choses pennies or hot wheels cars. Blessed are those who choose cheerios, stickers, or q-tips. Or their mum’s fabric collection.

10 colours. 10 scraps of each. Sorted!


W was pretty thrilled to get all this out of just my scrap bin.


Now to make a flippin’ paper vest.

Scraps = linking up with Cynthia!

Mini Swap, a finished quilt

Ta-done! My mini quilt for the inaugural MQG swap.


Grey thread on rainbow for the front and rainbow thread on grey for the back. I stitched in the ditch and carried the lines through to the outside, creating an uneven grid.


I hope my swap partner likes this as much as I do.


I shared progress shots earlier, go here to see. This will be mailed tomorrow during my lunch break. SK in USA this is for you!

Quilt Stats:

Title: MQG Swap Quilt

Lifetime quilt no. 63

Started: Monday, February 6, 2017

Finished: Thursday, February 9, 2017

Size: 19″ square

Number of pieces: 56

Quilting: straight line quilting with some sort of grey Gutterman thread (top) and variegated Coats and Clark (bottom)

Fabrics: 86% of this is scraps with only two prints and two solids from yardage. Some prints from fancy celebrity designers and others totally random and generic. All beautiful. Kona, Bella, and Colorworks solids. Backing is Crosshatch? from Architextures? by Carolyn Friedlander and was a scrap as well.

Linking up of course for Finish it up Friday with Crazy Mom Quilts! and Scraptastic Tuesday with She Can Sew.

And this was on my Q1 list for the 2017 FAL.

It’s been a fun week

Ages ago, way way back in the fall I signed up for the MQG international mini quilt swap. In my usual style I put off the project until now. The deadline for shipping is Friday. This Friday. So this week I got down to work!

The person I’m making an mini quilt for has no online footprint and was brief in the information she provided.

Likes: I love bright colors and grays, not a pastel fan. Excited to participate!

Dislikes: Pastels

Anything Else: 

Since this is quite vague I decided to make something *I* would like. I had saved a lot of pictures of rainbow stars and medallion things before settling on a round log cabin design. I saw this one on IG and went from there. I’ve never made this block but it was dead easy to piece.



Tuesday: Epic fabric pull


I had this scrap of a Tula tiger and thought it would be perfect for a green/blue area but this is all I had, so it had to fit into ONE spot on the colour wheel. Everything else got shifted around to make this work (and I still had to piece this a bit).


Ta-da! Since the vague mystery lady also likes grey I wanted to use a value progression for the background but I was missing a dark grey.


Sometimes the wrong side of the fabric is the right side!


Still Tuesday, cut and laid out. Fun fact! Only two of these were cut from yardage.


Wednesday, mid-morning.


Because this is super awesome I want to share it with everyone! Linking up here (let’s be social), here (NTT), here (Canadian!), here and here (scraps!), and here (building blocks Tuesday).

I’m looking forward to finishing this.