The fun thing (or one of the fun things) about teaching is you can check the store’s scrap basket every week. So I’ve had a few weeks of scraps building up, as well as yardage for binding several quilts, and leftovers from ahem, several projects going back a few months. So I did a sort and tidy this afternoon and feel better for it.
I know the online world is all “pictures or it didn’t happen” but I just didn’t take any. Picture a random but sort of tidy pile of scraps. Got it? Yes! That’s exactly what it looked like!
It was very gratifying to finally nail down what I keep/sort and how I sort it:
- selvedges (not that I’ve ever used them but it’s JUST IN CASE)
- strings/strips (ditto, but I have plans)
- tiny scraps, less than 2.5″ square which I will probably stop saving and will send to someone if you are interested
- 2.5″ squares (LOVE these so much!)
- small-ish scraps (generally around 5″ square or smaller but bigger than everything mentioned up to now)
- FQ or less than FQ but bigger than the small-ish scraps
- bigger than FQ is “yardage”
Tomorrow I get to go to a quilt show (yay!) but I have to take my kids (boo¡). They are great but they do not love quilt shows. I have my bribes ready: