End of it, finally

About a month ago I started sewing strips and strings together, with a rough plan in mind. I’m pleased that as of yesterday I’ve *finally* finished this task I set myself.

I created 3.55m of warm colours, and 5.6m of cool colours. WOF is 42″-45″. This is pretty heavy fabric with so much thread and seam allowances.

IMG_8237

K, I know it’s kind of a weird picture and really hard to stage beautifully. So eff it. This is stretched out across my house.

Here is what I have in mind to make using these string sheets. I do want to work my way through Sherri Lynn Wood’s improv book to stretch myself. I like precision, and patterns, and I tend to work small-ish. For this I’m cutting with scissors and working large.

IMG_8239

Made a sample block to test it out. This will measure ~16″x24″ once sewn. I like it a lot.

Advertisements

April Update

April has been kicking my butt pretty hard, which I knew it would, but still. And there’s another 10 days yet, including an extremely high stakes, very emotional event to survive.

I did some much needed therapeutic sewing this week. I used to sort strings and strips by length but turns out that’s a bit goofy. I’ve changed it now to be Warms/Cools/Darks/Low volumes.

I’ve wanted to do a string quilt for a while now. On our small trip away last month I read all of Sherri Lynn Wood’s “Improv Handbook for the Modern Quilter” and am going to work through it, making as many of the scores as I can.

Making fabric for a string quilt seemed mindless enough for now. Sewing is good, and writing is too.