Carolina Chain for Nova Scotia

This just because quilt happened kind of all of a sudden. In January I saw this quilt from Jolene at Blue Elephant Stitches.

Carolina Chain

I liked it and saved the picture. Then I was fiddling around with my 2.5″ squares and was encouraged to just DOOO something with them. I remembered this picture and next thing I knew I was calculating how much background I’d need!

I did use the tutorial from Bonnie Hunter but scaled it up to use 2.5″ squares (the original uses 2″ squares) and redid all the math to calculate yardage and the finished size. Jolene, who made the quilt above, called hers a Carolina Chain but she only used half the blocks. It’s one of those traditional quilts that needs an A and a B block for the pattern to work. Her version looks a lot like an Irish Chain.

But back to me. I made the blocks in a week. Took another week to add the setting triangles and sew the rows together. On point quilts no longer scare me – my skills have developed since my first one eight years ago.

IMG_9559.JPG

Here’s the one picture I took of the entire process.

I used a long stashed blue on black star wars print and it was the perfect amount for the setting triangles and the binding. The only fabric I bought for this was 4m for backing. Not bad for an 80″ square quilt!

IMG_0144.jpg

Ta-done!

Quilt Stats:

Title: Carolina Chain for Nova Scotia

Lifetime quilt no.: 88

Started: January 21, 2020

Finished: May 4, 2020

Size: 80″x80″

Number of pieces: 1,296

Quilting: curvy pantograph, kinda random choice but it worked

I had made this quilt just for fun, and to use up fabric I had. Then the Maritime MQG put a call out for finished blue and white quilts to gift people involved in the horrible mass murder, so I popped this into the mail. I loved NS when I lived there and am thrilled to be able to send this along.

 

“Recent” Finish

If you also follow me on instagram you’ll have noticed I’m playing along with Amy’s Creative Side’s IG Quilt Show. This was actually one of the reasons I started blogging, to be able to participate in things like that.

Today’s prompt is a recent finish. I’ve already shown my three most recent finishes and the fourth most recent finish has an embargo on sharing pictures, so I’m going with an “I haven’t shown you this yet” finish that I completed in summer? 2018. My fifth? most recent finish I think.

IMG_7870

This was done as part of the 2016 Mighty Lucky Club with Cheryl Arkison’s lesson called  “One Fabric, One Quilt.”

Here’s the back of the quilt and you can see the binding more clearly. That is the original striped fabric.

IMG_7876

I also did Cheryl’s fabulous machine mitred binding corners. I alternated directions of the binding strips so that the corners would be symmetrical.

IMG_7878

Fabric bought here, and the entire process of making the top is here.

 

Quilt Stats:

Title: It’s Bananas!

Lifetime quilt no.: 75

Started: July 2016 – top made in four days!

Finished: April 2018 – quilted and bound in about a week.

Size: 42.5 x 42.5 and boy was it a tight fit onto a single width of quilt cotton for the backing!

Number of pieces: 64

Quilting: SID and tied

I think this is an awesome quilt, so I’m linking up with Michelle at From Bolt to Beauty! Happy weekend peeps.

Cloth Napkins are done

But I have good news and bad news about these.

IMG_7158.JPG

The good news is they’re done. Finally. It’s been more than a year at this point so I am relieved.

The bad news is I made them as big as possible with the fabric I had….aaaaand they’re too small for my kids. Good thing I have small nieces!

I did learn how to do mitred corners, so that’s another good thing. And they’re done. Yayyayayyay me!

This was my October goal with Elm Street Quilts AND it was on my Q4 Finish Along list.

Ta-done!

Polaroid Quilt

A finished quilt.

Hannah_Nicole_Photo Album_Full

I’m sharing this finish as part of the Bloggers Quilt Festival. Not because I’m doing a dramatic reveal, but because I’ve been lazy about this one.

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 4.36.38 PM.png

It’s thrilling to have this finished. It was a big project but a fun one so it never went through the tedious and/or ugly phase many projects go through. [Actually, the quilting was a bit nuts. I did about 60% of the quilting, hated it and ripped it out. Tried a different style which I liked much much better.]

IMG_4671

But. But. I submitted it to Quiltcon in the piecing category. Denied. Submitted it to the Canadian National Juried Show. Denied again.

Hannah_Nicole_Photo Album_Detail

A bit of time has been a salve and seeing these pictures again renews my excitement about it. No idea what I’ll do with it, but still!

Quilt Stats:

Title: Polaroid Quilt

Lifetime quilt no.: 70 (I’m working on 77-79 right now)

Started: May 17, 2016

Finished: November 28, 2017

Size: 54″x70″

Number of pieces: 2264

Quilting: Straight line, walking foot

Tonnes of blog posts about it, in reverse chronological order.

This was on my 2018 Q3 list for the Finish-Along.

Also linking up with Michelle, From Bolt to Beauty for her “bragging about your beauties.”