I am interested in trying to be more consistent and have a more…complete follow-through we shall say. Really that just means stopping leaving things half undone… projects, quilts, filing, thoughts, spreadsheets, ideas, etc.
Instead of having several lists of quilts in progress, I combined them into one big list. (Projects in some state of completion: 20, Ideas for which I have the pattern/fabric: 10, Projects I kinda-sorta want to make: 6 that are written down but hundreds more in my head).
And I cleaned out my under-the-bed overflow storage area today. Fabric was put away. Projects sorted into ONE zipper container (that originally held a queen duvet to give you an idea of size).
Quilt tops needing quilting were all measured so that I can get batting and backings for them. Need those before I can get them quilted! They will all go to my bin under the longarm.
And this went into the recycling bin: the stencil I made for an oversize baptist fan pattern.
It was for my scrap vomit quilt (sorry Katy, can’t call it anything else!), completed March 2013. It measures 98″ square, has 2,458 2″ squares in it, and was quilted on my domestic machine.
Today was an #mqgsewday, where members of the MQG share whatever they’re sewing on Instagram. Watching kids does not make for easy sewing so I went for the tidying of sewing supplies. I have a bin of random craft/sewing/art stuff in the garage and a sort of similar bin downstairs. Husband has been agitating for paring down so with not being able to sew, I tried to see exactly what I have.
In-process arial shot.
Drafting tools and supplies, drawing and art supplies, three sizes of pipe cleaner including actual cleaners for pipes, old phone wire, beading wire, random: patches, snaps, and embroidery hoops, a third tracing wheel (never opened), two different styles of reverse tweezers, wool felt of three kinds, acrylic felt of two kinds, calculator from grade eight, school box from grade six, lighting gel sample book from university, wooden spool collection, random zippers (mostly huge, separating and/or ugly colours), car seat strap webbing from B’s car seat, styrofoam balls leftover from a hallowe’en costume three years ago, etc, etc.
Ta-done! One empty bin. Ran out of label tape at the crucial moment though.
Found some thing I’ll never use:
A close up for my fellow Canadians!
And I found a 6 inch scrap of honest to goodness gold braid. Woven with metal wires, and I have no idea where it came from.
A few days ago I gave out my big quilting tip “if you stitch something, press it.” That’s an awesome tip and I stand by it. My other big quilting tip is “if you’re stuck creatively, tidy up.” Because honestly, no matter how tidy you are, you can always be tidier.
And when you do a tidy up, you might find things you had forgotten about. Hello goldfish shark fabric! Or you might find things you had misplaced. Like the two fat quarters of solid black that you needed but couldn’t find so you went to the store and spent money needlessly on more black solid*. For instance.
*Your experience might be slightly different. Or exactly the same. If so then let’s be friends and we can curse our messiness together.