Wonky Stars

A finished quilt.

IMG_4818.JPG

I collected these from the instagram wonky star swap earlier this year. Rather than let them languish I whipped up this quilt in just a week or two. Quilted it in under five hours. Trimmed and bound it just as quickly.

In fact I bound it the afternoon of quilt guild meeting. Didn’t notice that my sweater matched the binding!

IMG_0044.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This block below is my favourite in the whole quilt. Orange and blue forever!

IMG_4831.JPG

A better look at the fabulous backing. I wish I had bolts and bolts of this. It’s super.

IMG_4819.JPG

**This quilt is for sale.** Email or message me.

Quilt Stats:

Title: Wonky Stars

Lifetime quilt no.: 76

Started: August 3, 2018

Finished: September 20, 2018

Size: 60″x80″

Number of pieces: loads.

Quilting: longarm pantograph. totally generic light grey poly? thread on top, generic sassy yellow thread in the bobbin.

Previous posts about this one are HERE in reverse chronological order.

This was on my 2018 Q3 FAL list, so yay! Also linking up with Finish it up Friday with Crazy Mom Quilts.

IMG_4833.JPG

Advertisements

Happy New Year!

When you go to a university* that gives you the major Jewish holidays off†, you don’t forget it quickly. Today is Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish new year), as well as my third anniversary of blogging. During dinner tonight we saw vibrant, double rainbows.

Also, I quilted today.

IMG_6836

Purchased years ago from an estate sale for one dollar per metre. Found in the stash and is big enough for a twin backing.

IMG_6837

I had enough to match the seam nearly accurately.

IMG_6838

From loading it up to taking it off was less than four hours.

Shanah Tovah to you! Happy anniversary to me!

 

* York University, Bachelor of Fine Arts (Special Honours) 2005

† when I looked up what year I finished my degree it seems that York only has Canadian statutory holidays on offer these days.

Wonky Star update

21 blocks from a swap. Sizes ranging from 3″ finished to 13.5″ finished. The mean block size was 8.75″ and the median was 9″.

I didn’t love the idea of many Y seams (fiddly and time consuming, not relaxing and mindless). I thought to sash the blocks to bring them to a uniform size. 12″ finished seemed to be a reasonable and achievable goal. Also, I have epic amounts of white fabric to use up, so why not!?

IMG_6658

I decided to sash only two of the sides of each star which would maintain the wonkiness and randomness.

Even with blocks of a uniform size the quilt would have been 48″x60″ which I think is useless. I made another 9 blocks and added bits of background in either 4″x12″ chunks or 8″x12″ chunks.

This came together so quickly and was such a ‘low stakes’ quilt, ie, I don’t care about it very much, all the decisions were easier to make. That also means I took only one picture of the process (see above).

IMG_6681

Before pressing this morning.

Started work on this August 7. Finished top August 20.

Next up: to piece the backing and sort the binding. I’ve got a batting big enough and even have thread ready. Then finish it off and find a recipient.

Previous posts about it HERE, in reverse chronological order.

Linking up the finish with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal – August Finish Link-up.

New month, old project

My summer always seems to go better if I have a focussed sort-of mindless project to hammer away at. For August I want to get my wonky stars into a top.

I have enough blocks from the swap to make a quilt 48″x60″. But that is a small quilt and I don’t really like small quilts. I would rather make more blocks than have a small quilt.

I’ll make another 8-12 blocks and then piece them all together.

IMG_6632

I went from ALL the saturated colours on my last project to low volume and whites for this one.

IMG_5546

And because it worked well for me last month, I’m doing it again:

Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal August Linkup.